Friday, February 8, 2013

No Longer Smarter Than My Phone

I recently bought my 3rd phone - and I don't mean for current use - I mean ever.  And, before you ask, despite what appearances might suggest, the new one is actually the second one I've purchased this century.

First thoughts can only be that these things are getting bigger - much bigger.  First they got smaller and we were very impressed but now they keep getting larger.  What ever happened to miniaturisation?  What would James Bond make of it if Q was to hand him the latest king-sized gadget for subtle espionage use?  And no mini-gun, mini-magnet or mini-condom for Maxwell Smart in his elbow patch?  Which also means no great line in reply, "I'm curious.  What use do we have for a mini-magnet?"

I've been busy searching for apps and downloading them.  I don't have time to use them; I just download them.   Subsequently, I'm now really looking forward to the next time I have to wait in a doctor's surgery or a hairdresser's, just so I can do something other than flick through women's magazines or the Reader's Digest.

As a device, it apparently can do everything.  Other than phone calls, that is.  Well not quite, but it was surprisingly difficult to answer my first phone call - no amount of button pressing worked at all.  Now I know.  You're not supposed to just press the button.  Who'd have thought?  Buttons are a whole lot smarter than being just for pressing   Welcome to the 21st Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment