Monday, April 4, 2011

Voting On The Big Issues

I was impressed at the range of upper house options I was given to choose from when voting in the recent State Election. 

Obviously, I didn't bother trying to find people from the list of over 300 names under the line.  Seriously, does anybody really do this?  We could save a lot of paper by not bothering with that part of the form or just printing a few of them and handing them out on request to the very keen. 

Going instead to choose from the list of parties, I realised that I didn't know too much about any of them.  Some of them appear to simply name themselves after their sole area of concern.  This is why, in a time where there are so many major issues being debated, we have a "No Parking Meters" party.  These guys obviously have their finger on the pulse of what really matters to people.

Similarly, we didn't just have a Fishing Party, we also had the Shooters and Fishers party.  They didn't even preference each other.  I'd have thought that both at least being into fishing, they'd form some kind of anglers' tactical alliance.  For the voter, trying to differentiate between them, the only tip I could have given was that one of these parties would not approve of shooting fish in a barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment